Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Free Internet Radio = Love

There is a possibility that I may be the last person on the planet who has yet to own an ipod. Even my 7 year old cousin has one. My husband has owned 3 and where ever they may be, RIP. Recently, with my mother and father's birthdays and anniversary close together they decided it would be a great time to buy an ipod for their jogs and drives together. Great. So I now have a 7 year old cousin, mother AND father who own an ipod and I still do not. On top of that, thanks to my hamy-down (no complaints there) '97 Hyundai, it came fully stocked with ... a tape player. So no ipod or cd player. And let's face it, a lot of the stuff you find on the radio today is beyond difficult to listen to never mind repetitive. I'm stuck my entire ride home from work scanning every radio station that will come in over and over again.

The background story on me is that I went to college for Music Industry with a desire to be in Radio - either as an On-Air Personality or Production. Going to college for music I was constantly creating, listening and recording music daily. When I graduated and moved back to New Hampshire to live with the 'rents, I quickly realized the big N.H. was not exactly stocked full of music jobs. So here I am: currently an Office Manager for a Sealcoating company.  With the lack of music in my life and the lack of a CD player in my car, I was dying to hear some music. Since it's normally just me in my office, it can sometimes get a bit too quiet. I was looking for anything I could pump my fist to (Reminder: I work alone. This is acceptable). A wondaful lady I know recently told me about Pandora online which was phenom. The only downfall is that I can't freely fast forward past bands that don't appeal to me. Pandora only allows me to bypass about 10 songs and then my quota is up for the day. I know the whole point is to listen to new music that also sound like bands I love but sometimes I am just not digging it. So I started to search online for music - anything that I could play and enjoy throughout my rather quiet day. I started searching around and finally stumbled upon a site called "SHOUTcast" which is free Internet radio. I love music. I love radio. And I certainly love free. Here is a win-win situation.

SHOUTcast has radio stations from all over the world. They also have every different type of music you could think of. German Disco anyone? Just simply go to the right side of the web and click the type of music you like. From there, they normally have even more specific genres of that genre. Once you've found the one you like, click on it and it will bring up different radio stations you can choose. And it's unlimited - you don't have a set limit on how many you can listen to and it is available 24/7. So there it is: If you've used up your good graces with Pandora, there is still music out there for people (who like me) are looking for unlimited music in a much limited situation.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This blog is great and laugh out loud funny.

    Would now be a good time to mention it's "hand me down" not "hamy down"? Lauren and I are pissing ourselves in Thailand. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha good to know! Thanks! I think I will keep it as is since it is another Siobhanism. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG just started reading this blog Sio and jumped at the chance to let you know about hamy... Thanks Sweet D

    ~Josh

    ReplyDelete