Thursday, September 9, 2010

Where To Live, Where To Work

As I mentioned in my first blog: My husband and I are taking a big leap of faith, packing up and moving to Colorado. We are moving away from our families, friends, comfort zone, everything we've known. As much as I know it would be so easy to just stay here in the know/in what I am used to, there really isn't any excitement in that. Just, eh. Not very poetic but it's how I feel about it.
Last night I had dinner with my best girlfriend of over 10 years. We were sitting there laughing at things only long-time friends could while admiring her 2 year old running around with my purse pretending to be a working woman. It's moments like this that make me sad and think maybe I should reconsider this move. But I have to remind myself - they will be here when (and if) we move back. There is no reason to stay in a place that holds no future or hope. I am such a lucky person to have friends that I do but they will be here, even if I am not.

This weekend, Jeremy decided to do a little research and take a look at Boulder online and see what it looks like. He and I have never been there and it was me who started this whole thing so he has just held onto his hat for the ride since. The only area we have been to is Vail which is right in the Rocky Mountains. Every place you look is spectacular. Even driving down the highway is an experience. Since doing our research, we discovered that Boulder is right on the outside of where the mountains start. Since being in the mountains is part of this whole experience for us, we are having a minor dilemma. My first (not-so-mature) thought is "Phooey." My next, more thought out reaction is, "Hey, it's not New Hampshire and I know it's going to be beautiful." The "Phooey" side of me imagines myself literally sitting on a mountain and calling it home. The more realistic side of me simply thinks Boulder looks beautiful. From what we've heard, it can be compared to Burlington, Vermont which is wonderful. The other plus is we can walk to everything which is so crucial to Jeremy and I because we love walking around and exploring. When it comes down to it, we will be in Colorado. We can't lose. So Boulder (or somewhere around there) it is! We now are trying to figure out if it's worth paying the extra money and saying good bye to extra square footage to just move into Boulder. Our friend Lauren, who is the one who encouraged us to make this move, lives 15 minutes outside of Boulder in Longmont. She absolutely loves it there and still has mountain views. This is where the next blind leap of faith comes in: We are literally counting on someone we don't know well but well enough (who BTW has great taste!) to go to the apartments we like and make a decision for us. I guess it's part of the whole adventure.

So it's a slow day at work today and I've decided to start looking at apartments available in Boulder. On a side note: According to the news, Boulder is currently burning to the ground. Not such a great thought when looking at future apartments. But in all seriousness my thoughts and prayers go out to the families who have lost their homes and the ones who are still at risk. I hope these fires get under control and fast! Here's to hoping for less humidity in that area and some well deserved rain!

So according to Rent.com, a small (almost studio sized) apartment in Boulder starts at $645. We are currently paying $550, so not too bad a difference (though it's easy to pay that here with already having somewhat stable jobs and with living in Colorado it's going to be more expensive and we don't even have stable jobs yet. Thinking about these things gets my blood pressure up. But I have to stop - I can't allow myself to think about things I can't control. This is all about a leap of faith; seeing the big picture. Alrighty. Well, here ends my small therapy session.) So back to Rent.com. So Boulder starts at around $645 but there are very few places that cost that little so it makes me worried what we might be moving into. If I broaden my search to Longmont, where Lauren lives, we are surprisingly looking at the same amount but there are more options and bigger living spaces. Jeremy's thoughts are to move to either Boulder or some town that is closer to the mountains and then commute to Boulder. I don't have as much enthusiasm for that idea because we are moving to a place we don't know and I would like to be near Lauren and her husband if possible. Lauren said that in Longmont she can literally walk to anything she needs - grocery store, farmers market, pubs, book stores. Literally everything. I thought I could hear angels singing when she wrote to me what she lives near. So yes, would I love to be as close to the mountains as one could get? Yes. But I think with us moving there, not knowing anyone, looking for work... it just might make more sense to live in Longmont (or Boulder). So I guess I haven't really made any decisions yet but I feel like I may be getting closer to making one.

So there you have it. Where to live, where to work? Still don't know. But we are making progress. That's more than I could ever ask for.

Love,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment